Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos
- 1 lb (about 2 small) sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- olive oil for drizzling
- 2 15oz cans black beans, well-rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced and seeded cherry or plum tomatoes (optional)
- 1/2 of a red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt plus more for the sweet potatoes
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- burrito-size flour tortillas
- grated cheese (we usually use pepper-jack)
- sour cream (optional)
- Place cubed sweet potatoes on a half-sheet pan or other oven-safe pain with sides.
- Drizzle sweet potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place the sweet potatoes a cold oven and roast at 400 degrees until fork tender, 20-30 minutes.
- Combine black beans, tomatoes, onions, cumin, salt, cayenne, lime juice, and cilantro in a large bowl. Stir well.
- Gently stir in roasted sweet potatoes.
- Adjust to taste for flavor; add more cumin, salt, and lime as needed.
- Soften tortillas by warming them slightly in a warm skillet.
- Place approximately 1/2 C filling in each tortilla, put a little grated cheese on top of the filling, and fold up.
- If planning to eat right away, put in a 400-degree oven and bake until heated through and the tortillas are crispy.
- Serve with sour cream and/or salsa.