Egg and Dairy-free Multigrain Pancakes
Todd C. Miller
Adapted from "The All New Joy of Cooking"
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour (increase to 1 1/2 cup if batter too thin)
- 1/2 cup corn meal (preferably stone ground)
- 1/3 cup oat bran (or rolled quick oats)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 2/3 cup non-dairy milk at room temperature
- 1/2 cup tablespoons coconut or canola oil (or other oil of your choice)
- 1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
- 4 tablespoons flax seed meal dissolved in 3/4 cup warm water
- Mix the flax seed meal with 9 tablespoons warm/hot water and allow to sit for at least 3 minutes.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Preheat your griddle.
- Whisk the oil and honey (or agava nectar) in a medium bowl until the honey/agave is dissolved in the oil.
- Add flax seed meal mixture and other wet ingredients to the bowl and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, some lumps are OK.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle for each pancake, nudging the batter into rounds.
- Cook until the top of the pancake is speckled with bubbles and some
bubbles have popped (about 2 minutes), then flip and cook until the underside is lightly browned (another 1-2 minutes).